Skip to main content

Which is better? BND or AGG?

The US 10-year treasury yield has reached at 2007-2008 years level, which is about 16 years ago. From a technical point of view, it is a buy. Then there are 2 bond ETFs that I am interested in. There are BND and AGG. They are very similar in nature.

US 10 year Treasury Bond, chart, prices - FT.com

Expense Ratio

BND: 0.03%
AGG: 0.03%

The same.

Turnover Rate

BND: 40.00%
AGG: 104.0%

BNG seems better.

Historical Performance Comparison

Investment duration: 5 years with no tax on dividends

BND wins a little with winning rate of 57.5%, but AGG wins 0.012% in return.



Investment duration: 5 years with 30% tax on dividends

AGG wins a little with winning rate of 65% and a 0.079% difference on average.



Investment duration: 10 years with no tax on dividends

AGG wins a little with winning rate of 67% and a 0.024% difference on average.



Investment duration: 10 years with 30%  tax on dividends

AGG wins a little with winning rate of 99% and a 0.095% difference on average.


Conclusion

AGG's turnover rate is much higher than BND. For historical returns, AGG almost always beats BND.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How to Create Corporate Bond with Covered Call Strategy?

A covered call position act like a corporate bond. Both give limited upside gains but also some downside protection. So I would like to explore if I can build a corporate bond position with stocks and the covered call strategy. Face Value Face value of an option is the first thing I am concerned. Although there is no real face value in the covered call positions, we still need to know how many stocks are covered by a short call contract. An option contract covers 100 shares of stock, so if I want to build a covered call position, I need to buy 100 shares of SPY for $373 with a total of $373*100 = $37,300. Already crazy. If I do a covered call once and the call option gets executed, I will have to sell stocks worth of about $37,300. How many times do I get to do this if I am not so rich? The mini-option of XSP, though a smaller contract size than SPX, still has this problem of one contract requires a lot of money for the underlying assets. XSP prices at 37...