Skip to main content

2 Reasons Why We should Start Investing Early

There are 2 reasons we should invest early. One, the earlier we start investing, the earlier we could enjoy the results. Two, the earlier we start investing, the lesser the amount of money we need to invest for the same investment goal.

These 2 reasons are the result of the compounding effect of investment returns.

Compounding Effect for a Lump Sum Investment

For a lump sum investment of $10k, the results in 10 years, 20 years and 30 years if the annual rate of return is 5% are the following:
Duration Asset Value Asset Value Change
10 years $16.29k $6.29k
20 years $26.53k $10.24k
30 years $43.22k $16.69k
Asset value gains faster in the last 10 years than the beginning 10 years.
Math Derivation for Lump Sum Investment Result Formula

Compounding Effect for Dollar Cost Averaging Investing

For a dollar cost averaging investing of $1k monthly, the results in 10 years, 20 years and 30 years if the annual rate of return is 5% are the following:
Duration Asset Value Asset Value Change
10 years $155.28k $155.28k
20 years $411.03k $255.75k
30 years $832.56k $422.53k
Start investing at the age of 20, and at age of 50, we would have $832.56k.
Math Derivation for Dollar Cost Averaging Investing Result Formula

For an Investment Goal of $500k

Lump Sum Investing

To reach the $500k investment goal at the age of 60, the earlier we start investing, the lesser the amount of money we need to invest.
Starting Age Amount Needed
20 $71.02k
30 $115.69k
40 $188.44k
If we starting investing at the age of 20, we just need $71.02k to reach the $500k goal at the age of 60.

Dollar Cost Averaging Investing

To reach the $500k investment goal at the age of 60, the earlier we start investing, the lesser the amount of money we need to invest monthly.
Starting Age Amount Needed
20 $0.6k
30 $1.22k
40 $3.22k
If we starting investing at the age of 20, we just need to invest $600 monthly to reach the $500k goal at the age of 60.

Investment Result Calculator (Please Enter Numbers)

Starting age:   Ending age:Lump sum amount($): Monthly investment amount($): Annual rate of return(%): 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How to Create Corporate Bond with Covered Call Strategy?

A covered call position act like a corporate bond. Both give limited upside gains but also some downside protection. So I would like to explore if I can build a corporate bond position with stocks and the covered call strategy. Face Value Face value of an option is the first thing I am concerned. Although there is no real face value in the covered call positions, we still need to know how many stocks are covered by a short call contract. An option contract covers 100 shares of stock, so if I want to build a covered call position, I need to buy 100 shares of SPY for $373 with a total of $373*100 = $37,300. Already crazy. If I do a covered call once and the call option gets executed, I will have to sell stocks worth of about $37,300. How many times do I get to do this if I am not so rich? The mini-option of XSP, though a smaller contract size than SPX, still has this problem of one contract requires a lot of money for the underlying assets. XSP prices at 37...