Skip to main content

Do Market Index ETFs (IVV, VTI, VEU, VT) Pay Growing Dividends?

Index ETFs track broad market indeics. While markets are growing, so should ETFs. If these ETFs keep fixed dividend yield, they should pay growing dividends when ETFs' prices are growing. 

Lets take a look at the historical data of various ETFs.

IVV, S&P 500 Tracking ETF

VTI, Total US Stock Market ETF

VEU, Total US Stock Market ETF

VT, Total World Stock Market ETF

Conclusion

US market ETFs give growing dividends according to past data while the world or non-US markets do not. VEU's returns are not as good over the years and that is probably why it does not pay growing dividends.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How to Create Corporate Bond with Covered Call Strategy?

A covered call position act like a corporate bond. Both give limited upside gains but also some downside protection. So I would like to explore if I can build a corporate bond position with stocks and the covered call strategy. Face Value Face value of an option is the first thing I am concerned. Although there is no real face value in the covered call positions, we still need to know how many stocks are covered by a short call contract. An option contract covers 100 shares of stock, so if I want to build a covered call position, I need to buy 100 shares of SPY for $373 with a total of $373*100 = $37,300. Already crazy. If I do a covered call once and the call option gets executed, I will have to sell stocks worth of about $37,300. How many times do I get to do this if I am not so rich? The mini-option of XSP, though a smaller contract size than SPX, still has this problem of one contract requires a lot of money for the underlying assets. XSP prices at 37...