Skip to main content

Does Stock Options' Put-Call Parity Make Sense?

Put-call parity formula is for European options, which can be only exercised at expiration.

Put-cal parity is based on the no-arbitrage pricing theory, which says whenever there is an arbitrage opportunity, there will be enough of that arbitrage trading to make the underlying assets' prices move to where there is no arbitrage opportunity.

No-arbitrage pricing theory says two equal things must have the same values. Otherwise, one can sell the expensive and buy the cheap to make a risk-free profit.

Formula

Options can be priced based on the put-call parity formula which is the following:

C + PV(x) = P + S

Where C is the price of call, PV(x) is the present value of strike price, P is the price of put, and S is the spot price of

For example, XYZ stock spot price is $100, 1-year risk-free rate is 1%, for 1-year call and put options with the same strike price of 101, the following formula holds.

C + PV(101) = P + S

C - P = 100 - 101/(1 + 0.01) = 0 

Derivation of the Put-Call Parity Formula

Two equal things have equal price. We need to see C + PV(x) equal P + S to prove C + PV(x) = P + S.

Using the previous example, we can see that at the options' expiration date, their values are always the same regardless.

XYZ Spot Price at expiration C + PV(x) P + S
960 + 1015 + 96
97 0 + 101 4 + 97
98 0 + 101 3 + 98
99 0 + 101 2 + 99
100 0 + 101 1 + 100
101 0 + 101 0 + 101
1021 +1010 + 102
1032 + 1010 + 103
1043 + 1010 + 104

In Reality

On August 9, 2021, SPY closed at 442.13.

2021/9/10 call for SPY at 442 was $6.71, and the put was 6.35$.

1-month treasury rate is 0.04%. 0.04%/12 is the 1-month risk-free rate, which is 0.000033333.

C + PV(x) = P + S

C + PV(x) = 6.71 + 442/(1 + 0.000033333) = 450.70

P + S = 6.35 + 442.13 = 448.48

450.70 - 448.48 = 2.22

I guess this $2.22 is the extra fee for the right to exercise the option earlier rather than at the expiration date. SPY options are American-style options, which can be exercised prior to expiration dates.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How to Create Corporate Bond with Covered Call Strategy?

A covered call position act like a corporate bond. Both give limited upside gains but also some downside protection. So I would like to explore if I can build a corporate bond position with stocks and the covered call strategy. Face Value Face value of an option is the first thing I am concerned. Although there is no real face value in the covered call positions, we still need to know how many stocks are covered by a short call contract. An option contract covers 100 shares of stock, so if I want to build a covered call position, I need to buy 100 shares of SPY for $373 with a total of $373*100 = $37,300. Already crazy. If I do a covered call once and the call option gets executed, I will have to sell stocks worth of about $37,300. How many times do I get to do this if I am not so rich? The mini-option of XSP, though a smaller contract size than SPX, still has this problem of one contract requires a lot of money for the underlying assets. XSP prices at 37...