Skip to main content

Stock Pricing Based on the Dividend Discount Model

One way to price stocks is to use the dividend discount model(DDM). DDM only considers a stock's dividends, its dividend changing rate and interest rate when deriving its price.

Calculator

Quarterly dividend:
dollar(s) 
Dividend changing rate quarterly:
 % 
Interest rate:
%

Math Formula

The DDM has the following math formula:

The Higher the Dividends, the Higher the Stock Price

Assume the quarterly interest rate is fixed at 0.25% and the stock pays quarterly dividends. Dividend has a positive linear relationship with stock price based on DDM.

The Higher the Interest Rate, the Lower the Stock Price

Assume the quarterly dividends is fixed at 1$ and the stock pays quarterly dividends. Interest rate has a inverse relationship with stock price and the interest rate can't be 0, because otherwise the stock price will be infinity and the interest rate can't be negative which will result in a negative stock price.

The Faster the Dividend Grows, the Higher the Stock Price

Assume the quarterly interest rate is fixed at 0.25% and the stock pays quarterly dividends. Dividends can not grow at a rate that is higher than the interest rate, because otherwise investors can just borrow money and buy the stock and push its price up indefinitely

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How to Create Corporate Bond with Covered Call Strategy?

A covered call position act like a corporate bond. Both give limited upside gains but also some downside protection. So I would like to explore if I can build a corporate bond position with stocks and the covered call strategy. Face Value Face value of an option is the first thing I am concerned. Although there is no real face value in the covered call positions, we still need to know how many stocks are covered by a short call contract. An option contract covers 100 shares of stock, so if I want to build a covered call position, I need to buy 100 shares of SPY for $373 with a total of $373*100 = $37,300. Already crazy. If I do a covered call once and the call option gets executed, I will have to sell stocks worth of about $37,300. How many times do I get to do this if I am not so rich? The mini-option of XSP, though a smaller contract size than SPX, still has this problem of one contract requires a lot of money for the underlying assets. XSP prices at 37...