Skip to main content

Is LQD Good?

In the other article, I did a resaerch on Franklin Income fund and found that the fund did pretty well during the 2000 and the 2008 financial crisis. Then I became curious about if any bond ETF can beat Franklin Income fund. I found LQD,iShares iBoxx Inv Grade Corporate Bond ETF.

Does LQD Pay Increasing Dividends?

No, it doesn't.

Sharpe Ratio

  • Data range: 2002/7/30 - 2022/7/1
  • Mean annual return for SPY is 12.461%, better than 5.791% of LQD's.
  • Annual return standard deviation for SPY is 16.901%, worse than 6.462% of LQD's.
  • Mean return divided by standard deviation for SPY is 0.737, worse than 0.896 of LQD's. 
  • Wtih the risk free rate being 2%, SPY's Sharpe ratio is 0.619 which is better than LQD's 0.587.
  • FKINX's mean return is 7.873%, standard deviation is 14.156%, Sharpe ratio is 0.5561 when the rate is 0% and 0.405 when the rate is 2%.

SPY

LQD

Invested At the High Before 2008 Financial Crisis

  • LQD beat SPY about 7 years from the high from 2007/10/9 to May of 2015.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How to Create Corporate Bond with Covered Call Strategy?

A covered call position act like a corporate bond. Both give limited upside gains but also some downside protection. So I would like to explore if I can build a corporate bond position with stocks and the covered call strategy. Face Value Face value of an option is the first thing I am concerned. Although there is no real face value in the covered call positions, we still need to know how many stocks are covered by a short call contract. An option contract covers 100 shares of stock, so if I want to build a covered call position, I need to buy 100 shares of SPY for $373 with a total of $373*100 = $37,300. Already crazy. If I do a covered call once and the call option gets executed, I will have to sell stocks worth of about $37,300. How many times do I get to do this if I am not so rich? The mini-option of XSP, though a smaller contract size than SPX, still has this problem of one contract requires a lot of money for the underlying assets. XSP prices at 37...