Skip to main content

Performance Comparison Between O and SPY

The housing market shoud have a different behavior than the stock market. In somme way it shoue be safer. In this article, I compare one of the best REIT option O to one the most represantable stock market ETF, SPY to find out if it is worth to include O in our portfolio in terms of downside risk protection and upside potential with tthe stock market.

 The full name of O is Realty Income Corporation and VNQ is SPDR S&P 500 ETF Trust.

APP

Tax Rate on Dividends:
Start Date:
End Date:

Simulate Random Date 100 Times

Investing During the 2008 Financial Crisis

O did better but with a higher volitility.

Investing During the 2020 Covid-19 crisis

O suffers more loses, which makes sense that a lot of O's assets have something to do we shopping and shoppeing is hit greatly by Covid.

Investing During the 2015 Fed's Rate Hikes

O did not do too good here.

Investing When S&P 500 hit bottom during Covid crisis

SPY grew faster than O.

Conclusion

I woudl stick with SPY for now.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How to Create Corporate Bond with Covered Call Strategy?

A covered call position act like a corporate bond. Both give limited upside gains but also some downside protection. So I would like to explore if I can build a corporate bond position with stocks and the covered call strategy. Face Value Face value of an option is the first thing I am concerned. Although there is no real face value in the covered call positions, we still need to know how many stocks are covered by a short call contract. An option contract covers 100 shares of stock, so if I want to build a covered call position, I need to buy 100 shares of SPY for $373 with a total of $373*100 = $37,300. Already crazy. If I do a covered call once and the call option gets executed, I will have to sell stocks worth of about $37,300. How many times do I get to do this if I am not so rich? The mini-option of XSP, though a smaller contract size than SPX, still has this problem of one contract requires a lot of money for the underlying assets. XSP prices at 37...