Skip to main content

What About 100% Growth Funds For Retirement

We could withdraw 4% from SPY and not be broke in almost every situation based on historaical SPY price and dividend data since 1993. And since growth funds such as IWF, VRGWX and SPYG beat SPY about 80% of the times, I wonder if I can keep a 100% growth portfolio as retirement funds. Is it safe if I withdraw 4% every year from it?

I have built this tool for comparison withdrawing funds from SPY and IWF.

APP

Tax Rate on Dividends: %.
Withdrawal Freqhency:
Withdrawal Rate: %.
Initaial Portfolio Value: $.
Retirement Date:.

Simulate 100 Times

Retired Right Before 2000 Financial Crisis

Withdrawing 4.83% from a total IWF portfolio leave me about broke now. SPY does a lot better.

Retired Right Before 2000 Financial Crisis

Withdrawing 11% from a total IWF portfolio leave me about broke now, which is a little better than SPY.

Conclusion

It is quite dangerous keeping a total growth fund for retirement.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How to Create Corporate Bond with Covered Call Strategy?

A covered call position act like a corporate bond. Both give limited upside gains but also some downside protection. So I would like to explore if I can build a corporate bond position with stocks and the covered call strategy. Face Value Face value of an option is the first thing I am concerned. Although there is no real face value in the covered call positions, we still need to know how many stocks are covered by a short call contract. An option contract covers 100 shares of stock, so if I want to build a covered call position, I need to buy 100 shares of SPY for $373 with a total of $373*100 = $37,300. Already crazy. If I do a covered call once and the call option gets executed, I will have to sell stocks worth of about $37,300. How many times do I get to do this if I am not so rich? The mini-option of XSP, though a smaller contract size than SPX, still has this problem of one contract requires a lot of money for the underlying assets. XSP prices at 37...