Skip to main content

The Effects of Rebalanced Thresholds on Mean Daily Returns and Daily Return Standard Deviaion of A SPY/Cash Portfolio

This is a study on the effects of rebalanced threshold on mean daily reutns and the standard deviation. 

APP

SPY Ratio:%
Cash Catio:%

90% SPY with 10% Cash

Standard Deviation

Mean Return and Mean Over Standard Deviation

70% SPY with 30% Cash

Standard Deviation

Mean Return and Mean Over Standard Deviation

50% SPY with 50% Cash

Standard Deviation

Mean Return and Mean Over Standard Deviation

30% SPY with 70% Cash

Standard Deviation

Mean Return and Mean Over Standard Deviation

10% SPY with 90% Cash

Standard Deviation

Mean Return and Mean Over Standard Deviation

100% SPY

One thing I have noticed is the following data for a 100% SPY portfolio, the goal of rebalancing is to beat the 100% SPY portfolio:
  • Mean daily return: 0.04394%
  • Daily return standard deviation: 1.1873%
  • The mean return divided by the standard deviation: 0.037.
The following is some of the highest numbers for mean daily return over standard deviation. More importantly, they are higher then 0.037 of the 100% SPY portfolio,
  • The mean return divided by the standard deviation of 0.04089 from a 60% SPY/40% cash portfolio with a rebalancing threshold of 14.8%.
  • The mean return divided by the standard deviation of 0.04034 from a 50% SPY/50% cash portfolio with a rebalancing threshold of 17.4%.
  • The mean return divided by the standard deviation of 0.04038 from a 50% SPY/50% cash portfolio with a rebalancing threshold of 28.1%.
  • The mean return divided by the standard deviation of 0.04097 from a 40% SPY/60% cash portfolio with a rebalancing threshold of 30.3%.
  • The mean return divided by the standard deviation of 0.04152 from a 30% SPY/70% cash portfolio with a rebalancing threshold of 30.3%.
  • The mean return divided by the standard deviation of 0.04209 from a 20% SPY/80% cash portfolio with a rebalancing threshold of 27.1%.
  • The mean return divided by the standard deviation of 0.04238 from a 10% SPY/80% cash portfolio with a rebalancing threshold of 18.2%.

Conclusion

  • Generally, the bigger the rebalanced threshold, the bigger the daily return standard deviation.
  • Generally, the bigger the rebalanced threshold, the bigger the mean daily return.
  • Mena return over return standard deviation has no strong coorlation with rebalanced thresholds.
  • Overall, that you rebalance your SPY/Cash portfolio frequently with small thresholds generally means your portfolio is safer with a sacrifice of return.
  • The higher the percentage of cash in the portfolio, the easier to find a high value of mean return over standard deviation.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How to Create Corporate Bond with Covered Call Strategy?

A covered call position act like a corporate bond. Both give limited upside gains but also some downside protection. So I would like to explore if I can build a corporate bond position with stocks and the covered call strategy. Face Value Face value of an option is the first thing I am concerned. Although there is no real face value in the covered call positions, we still need to know how many stocks are covered by a short call contract. An option contract covers 100 shares of stock, so if I want to build a covered call position, I need to buy 100 shares of SPY for $373 with a total of $373*100 = $37,300. Already crazy. If I do a covered call once and the call option gets executed, I will have to sell stocks worth of about $37,300. How many times do I get to do this if I am not so rich? The mini-option of XSP, though a smaller contract size than SPX, still has this problem of one contract requires a lot of money for the underlying assets. XSP prices at 37...