Skip to main content

AGG's Expected Loss During its Downturn

This article is about risk analysis of AGG. First, I will build an app that will randomly generate investment start date and end date given an investment span. The user has the freedom to set a tax rate on dividends.

With this app, I am looking for given an investment span, what is the chance that AGG's return is negative, and if it is, what is the expected loss. This will help me decide how much cash or its equivalent I need to keep when retired.

The data range is from 2003-09-29 to 2022-07-22 and  each year is assumed to have 252 trading days.

APP

Truncated Data:
Start Date:
End Date:
Tax Rate on Dividends: %
Investment Span: days.
Investing in AGG for 252 days:

Total Distribution

TImes when Lost are greater than 5%

Start Date End Date Span Return(%)

Conclusion

  • The longer you invest in AGG, the lower the chance it gives you a negative return. When you had invested longer than 12 years, your chance of getting a negative return would have been 0%.
  • The longer you invest in AGG, the lower the expected loss giving it gives a negative return.
  • The mean return of AGG grows linearly with time, but the standard deviation. When stock prices follow log-normal distribution, the standard deviation of the return is linear to the squared root of time. This may imply it is worth investing long-term, since the risk does not grow as fast as average return with time.

Expected Loss

Mean Return and Return Standard Deviation

Mean Return Divided by Return Standard Deviation

Results Reference

Investing in AGG for 1 year

Investing in AGG for 2 year

Investing in AGG for 3 year

Investing in AGG for 4 year

Investing in AGG for 5 year

Investing in AGG for 6 year

Investing in AGG for 7 year

Investing in AGG for 8 year

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How to Create Corporate Bond with Covered Call Strategy?

A covered call position act like a corporate bond. Both give limited upside gains but also some downside protection. So I would like to explore if I can build a corporate bond position with stocks and the covered call strategy. Face Value Face value of an option is the first thing I am concerned. Although there is no real face value in the covered call positions, we still need to know how many stocks are covered by a short call contract. An option contract covers 100 shares of stock, so if I want to build a covered call position, I need to buy 100 shares of SPY for $373 with a total of $373*100 = $37,300. Already crazy. If I do a covered call once and the call option gets executed, I will have to sell stocks worth of about $37,300. How many times do I get to do this if I am not so rich? The mini-option of XSP, though a smaller contract size than SPX, still has this problem of one contract requires a lot of money for the underlying assets. XSP prices at 37...