Skip to main content

LQD's Expected Loss During its Downturn

This article is about risk analysis of LQD. First, I will build an app that will randomly generate investment start date and end date given an investment span. The user has the freedom to set a tax rate on dividends.

With this app, I am looking for given an investment span, what is the chance that LQD's return is negative, and if it is, what is the expected loss. This will help me decide how much cash or its equivalent I need to keep when retired.

The data range is from 2002-07-30 to 2022-07-22 and  each year is assumed to have 252 trading days.

APP

Truncated Data:
Start Date:
End Date:
Tax Rate on Dividends: %
Investment Span: days.
Investing in LQD for 252 days:

Total Distribution

TImes when Lost are greater than 5%

Start Date End Date Span Return(%)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How to Create Corporate Bond with Covered Call Strategy?

A covered call position act like a corporate bond. Both give limited upside gains but also some downside protection. So I would like to explore if I can build a corporate bond position with stocks and the covered call strategy. Face Value Face value of an option is the first thing I am concerned. Although there is no real face value in the covered call positions, we still need to know how many stocks are covered by a short call contract. An option contract covers 100 shares of stock, so if I want to build a covered call position, I need to buy 100 shares of SPY for $373 with a total of $373*100 = $37,300. Already crazy. If I do a covered call once and the call option gets executed, I will have to sell stocks worth of about $37,300. How many times do I get to do this if I am not so rich? The mini-option of XSP, though a smaller contract size than SPX, still has this problem of one contract requires a lot of money for the underlying assets. XSP prices at 37...