Skip to main content

Why might VOO be better than SPY, IVV and VTI?

I made 2 videos the other days comparing the historical returns of these 4 ETFs: IVV, VOO, SPY and VTI. In the first video, I found that a VOO had the best historical returns in a randomly chose investment time span. 


In the second video, I found that VOO was still the best accounting for their return standard deviation, or risk, or fluctuation, when I divided their returns by the return standard deviation.


Why might VOO be better than SPY, IVV and VTI?
Out of curiosity, I went digging for information. Some of the known facts that would not make VOO the best:
  1. VTI contains mid-, and small-cap equity, while the others don't.
  2. SPY has the highest expense ratio of 0.09%, while the others are 0.03%.
Then I found the possible reason, their turnover rate:
  1. SPY: 2%
  2. VOO: 2%
  3. IVV: 3%
  4. VTI: 3.4%
With this and the fact that SPY has the highest expense ratio, VOO might just be the best ETF among : IVV, VOO, SPY and VTI.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How to Create Corporate Bond with Covered Call Strategy?

A covered call position act like a corporate bond. Both give limited upside gains but also some downside protection. So I would like to explore if I can build a corporate bond position with stocks and the covered call strategy. Face Value Face value of an option is the first thing I am concerned. Although there is no real face value in the covered call positions, we still need to know how many stocks are covered by a short call contract. An option contract covers 100 shares of stock, so if I want to build a covered call position, I need to buy 100 shares of SPY for $373 with a total of $373*100 = $37,300. Already crazy. If I do a covered call once and the call option gets executed, I will have to sell stocks worth of about $37,300. How many times do I get to do this if I am not so rich? The mini-option of XSP, though a smaller contract size than SPX, still has this problem of one contract requires a lot of money for the underlying assets. XSP prices at 37...