Skip to main content

One Reason Why Mid- Long-Term US Treasury Yield Might Rise, Resulting in Loss

Now the US 10-year treasury yield stands at the 4% level. It feels cheap and it is time to buy. However, other than the chance of the Fed continuing to raise rates slowly, there is one other thing that might trigger the mid to long-term yields to rise, resulting in losses of those bond positions.

That is, the inverted yield curve started to move toward the normal curve shape. Even with a slight movement of the curve could result in losses in long-term treasury bonds that investors should not ignore.

My basis of argument comes from the technical view on price fluctuation would go in one direction when it has already gone dramatically in the other direction for a while. Of course, this needs the Fed not lowering the rate in the imminent future.

How Bad is the Yield Curve Inverting?

I ferreted out all times since 2000 when the yield curves were inverted and found out that today's yield is badly inverted. If we look at the difference between the 1-month yield and the 30-year one, the current yield curve inverted the most among all of the incidences, including ones in 2000, 2007, and 2019.

2023/8/7

  • 1-month yield: 5.54%
  • 1-year yield: 5.3%
  • 5-year yield: 4.16%
  • 10-year yield: 4.09%
  • 30-year yield: 4.27%
  • Yield deference between the 1-month one and the 30-year one: 1.27%.


2019/6/7

  • 1-month yield: 2.3%
  • 1-year yield: 1.97%
  • 5-year yield: 1.85%
  • 10-year yield: 2.09%
  • 30-year yield: 2.57%
  • Yield deference between the 1-month one and the 30-year one: 0.27%.

2007/3/23

  • 1-month yield: 5.24%
  • 1-year yield: 4.93%
  • 5-year yield: 4.52%
  • 10-year yield: 4.62%
  • 30-year yield: 4.8%
  • Yield deference between the 1-month one and the 30-year one: 0.44%.

2000/8/21

  • 3-month yield: 6.3%
  • 1-year yield: 6.2%
  • 5-year yield: 6.1%
  • 10-year yield: 5.79%
  • 30-year yield: 5.71%
  • Yield deference between the 3-month one and the 30-year one: 0.53%.


Yields chart since 1950

Then I looked at the short term and long-term yield trends since 1950, there have only been 3 times that the yield curves were probably worse than how it is right now.

Implications


Assuming there are 3 scenarios that would happen in the near future:
  1. The yield curve becomes more inverted, and the long-term yield drops, resulting in bond price loss.
  2. The yield curve becomes less inverted, and the long-term yield rises, resulting in bond price gain.
  3. The yield curve maintains, and the long-term yield stays, not resulting in bond price gain or loss.
Which scenario would you anticipate more likely. With the yield curve inverted worse in 40 years. from a technical point of view, when some price moves in one direction dramatically for a while, it could rebound in the other direction for a short time.

But, if the Fed starts lowering rates in the near future, the issues of today' topic would not exist, because the inverted yield curve could be resolved without making the mid or long-term yields rise.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How to Create Corporate Bond with Covered Call Strategy?

A covered call position act like a corporate bond. Both give limited upside gains but also some downside protection. So I would like to explore if I can build a corporate bond position with stocks and the covered call strategy. Face Value Face value of an option is the first thing I am concerned. Although there is no real face value in the covered call positions, we still need to know how many stocks are covered by a short call contract. An option contract covers 100 shares of stock, so if I want to build a covered call position, I need to buy 100 shares of SPY for $373 with a total of $373*100 = $37,300. Already crazy. If I do a covered call once and the call option gets executed, I will have to sell stocks worth of about $37,300. How many times do I get to do this if I am not so rich? The mini-option of XSP, though a smaller contract size than SPX, still has this problem of one contract requires a lot of money for the underlying assets. XSP prices at 37...