Skip to main content

Evaluate Mean and Standard Deviation for Asseet Allocation of SPY and Cash

Assume cash has a mean return of 0, return standard deviation of 0 and has no corration with SPY, in theroy, with x percent of cash ans 1-x percent of y, the portfolio mean return is (1-x) times SPY mean return and standard devation of (1-x) times SPY standard deviation. Mathematical proof is in this blog post.

SPY has a daily mean return of 0.046% and daily return standard deviation of 1.179%. Derivation is in this blog post.

Then, for example, a portfolio of 50% cash and 50% SPY will have a daily mean return of 0.046%/2= 0.023% and daily return standard deviation of 1.179%*/2 = 0.5895%.

I want to test the above statistial theory by runing simulation.

Simulator

SPY and Cash have the above mentioned daily mean return and daily return standard deviation. This simulator will generate SPY pirces base on geometric Brownian Motion that stock prices follow. Then it calculate portfolio value and its daily rerun data. Finally, the porfolio daily returns will be transformed into the mean and the standard deviation for comparing with the theoretical mean and standard deviation.

Portfolio Initail Value: $1000
SPY ratio: %
Cash ratio: %
  • Theoretical Mean: 0.0230%
  • Theoretical Standard Deviation: 0.5895%
  • Simulated Mean: %
  • Simulated Standard Deviation: %

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How to Create Corporate Bond with Covered Call Strategy?

A covered call position act like a corporate bond. Both give limited upside gains but also some downside protection. So I would like to explore if I can build a corporate bond position with stocks and the covered call strategy. Face Value Face value of an option is the first thing I am concerned. Although there is no real face value in the covered call positions, we still need to know how many stocks are covered by a short call contract. An option contract covers 100 shares of stock, so if I want to build a covered call position, I need to buy 100 shares of SPY for $373 with a total of $373*100 = $37,300. Already crazy. If I do a covered call once and the call option gets executed, I will have to sell stocks worth of about $37,300. How many times do I get to do this if I am not so rich? The mini-option of XSP, though a smaller contract size than SPX, still has this problem of one contract requires a lot of money for the underlying assets. XSP prices at 37...