Skip to main content

Is IWF Good?

IWF is about growth, which may inply that the long term return may be better than value stocks with higher volitility.

Downside Risk Comparison with SPY

Invested at the peak in 2007 on 10/9, IWF's risk was about the same with SPY but with much higher return later on.

Invested at the peak before COVID crisis of 2020 on 2/19, IWF's risk was about the same with SPY, but is more volatile later on.

Invested right before Fed's rate hikes in 2015 on 12/14, IWF's risk was about the same with SPY.



Sharpe Ratio Compared with SPY

IWF does not seem to a better Shape ratio than SPY.


What are the chaces of IWF beating SPY?

Randomly select an investment span of 252 days between 2000-05-26 and 2022-06-17. We see IWF beats SPY by 0.848% in annual return and has a 59.9% chance of beating SPY.


Randomly select an investment span of 1000 days between 2000-05-26 and 2022-06-17. We see IWF beats SPY by 1.677% in annual return and has a 72.5% chance of beating SPY.

Randomly select an investment span of 3000 days between 2000-05-26 and 2022-06-17. We see IWF beats SPY by 4.525% in annual return and has a 82.4% chance of beating SPY.

Conclusion

  • IWF has a higher volitility than SPY and does not a signicant better Sharpe ratio.
  • The longer you invest in IWF, the better chance you have of betting SPY. This could be cause of the nature of growth stock. Beause IWF pays less dividends and is more efficient in reinvesting in the stock market than SPY.

Resources

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How to Create Corporate Bond with Covered Call Strategy?

A covered call position act like a corporate bond. Both give limited upside gains but also some downside protection. So I would like to explore if I can build a corporate bond position with stocks and the covered call strategy. Face Value Face value of an option is the first thing I am concerned. Although there is no real face value in the covered call positions, we still need to know how many stocks are covered by a short call contract. An option contract covers 100 shares of stock, so if I want to build a covered call position, I need to buy 100 shares of SPY for $373 with a total of $373*100 = $37,300. Already crazy. If I do a covered call once and the call option gets executed, I will have to sell stocks worth of about $37,300. How many times do I get to do this if I am not so rich? The mini-option of XSP, though a smaller contract size than SPX, still has this problem of one contract requires a lot of money for the underlying assets. XSP prices at 37...