Skip to main content

How Much Could I Have Withdrawn Annually During the 2000 And the 2008 Financial Crises From A Total SPY Portfolio And Still Not Be Broke Now

After reading The Simple Path to Wealth, I found it possible to keep a 100% S&P 500 index funds and retire with it. All I have to do is to accumulate S&P 500 index fund such as SPY, then sell and withdraw during for daily spending during retirement. I wouldn't use up all of my funds.

I have also done some detail calculation for withdrawing 4% from an all SPY portfolio right at the peak of 2000 or 2008 financial crises, and I have found not only would I have not used up my fund, but have also grown my portfolio. The calculation is in this article.

The calculation tool is here:Will I Spend All Of My SPY Portfolio?

How much more could I have withdrawn?

Now, back to me topic. I want to know the max amount of money I could have withdrawn during the 2000 or the 2008 financial crises and still not be borke. 

Retired at the peak before the 2000 market downturn

The answer is 5.85%.

Retired at the peak before the 2008 market downturn

The answer is 10.24%.

I guess withdrawing 4% from a full SPY portfolio as retirement spending is quite safe.

What if I want to live longer?

The above calculation is for the results of not being broke but the remaining amount of portfolio value could not have kept me alive for too long. Now, I want to find the max withdrawl rates during the 2000 and the 2008 financial crises and my fund would return to the same value as it had been right at the time I reitred.

Retired at the peak before the 2000 market downturn and portfolio would return to the same value at retirement

The answer is 4.56%.

Retired at the peak before the 2008 market downturn and portfolio would return to the same value at retirement

The answer is 7.65%.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How to Create Corporate Bond with Covered Call Strategy?

A covered call position act like a corporate bond. Both give limited upside gains but also some downside protection. So I would like to explore if I can build a corporate bond position with stocks and the covered call strategy. Face Value Face value of an option is the first thing I am concerned. Although there is no real face value in the covered call positions, we still need to know how many stocks are covered by a short call contract. An option contract covers 100 shares of stock, so if I want to build a covered call position, I need to buy 100 shares of SPY for $373 with a total of $373*100 = $37,300. Already crazy. If I do a covered call once and the call option gets executed, I will have to sell stocks worth of about $37,300. How many times do I get to do this if I am not so rich? The mini-option of XSP, though a smaller contract size than SPX, still has this problem of one contract requires a lot of money for the underlying assets. XSP prices at 37...